In this post, I’ll share what I’ve learned from what I believe be reliable Internet sources about two of the four candidates for School Board from District 3: Luis Bernal and JB Holmes. I’ll follow this with a separate post doing the same for Kathy Ryan and Erika Donalds, the other two District 3 candidates.
All Collier County voters can vote for one candidate from each of the three districts up for election in the August primary election, regardless of where you live or your party affiliation.
Sources I’ve reviewed for this post include the following:
- Candidates’ campaign literature and websites
- Candidates’ Facebook pages – www.facebook.com
- Candidates’ LinkedIn pages – www.linkedin.com
- Candidates’ Twitter pages – www.twitter.com
- Campaign finance reports – www.colliervotes.com (Candidates > Search Financial Records)
- Google search – www.google.com
Luis Bernal is a public policy analyst and international development specialist with decades of local, national and international experience, and years of involvement in education, business, and government in Collier County. His campaign slogan is “A Parent’s Voice on the School Board.” He says, “Vote for Luis because we need all our kids to be college and career ready.”
Bernal’s online presence includes Facebook , LinkedIn (500+ connections), a website luisbernal.co, and Twitter (@VoteLuisBernal - 3,014 followers).
Bernal and his wife live in North Naples with their son (12).
- Master of Public Policy – Education Policy / UMass Dartmouth (2014)
- Certificate – Hispanic Marketing Communications / Florida State University (2008)
- Certificate – Advanced Studies in Project Management / Florida International University (2005)
- Certificate – International Program for Development Evaluation Training / Carleton University (2003)
- BSBA / Universidad Externado de Colombia – Organizational Development (1985)
- ACOPI / President Advisor (1985-1990) – This organization’s mission is to “represent and promote the strong, efficient and competitive development of micro, small and medium enterprises in all economic and productive sectors of Bogotá and Cundinamarca [Colombia], through its active and committed participation in the stimulation, training and promotion strategic opportunities for business.” (via Google Translate)
- FUNDES / Independent Consultant (1995) – “a private international organization that develops joint projects with large enterprise, government and development agencies to improve market access, cost-effectiveness and efficiency of thousands of MSMEs in Latin America.” (via Google Translate)
- Ministerio de Industria, Comercio y Turismo (Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism – via Google Translate) – Colombia / Minister Advisor on Sectoral Development (1997-1999)
- Florida Gulf Coast University / Business Counselor – Small Business Development (2006)
- Inter American Development Bank/ Independent Evaluator (2000-2011) – This organization is “the leading source of development financing for Latin America and the Caribbean, with a strong commitment to achieve measurable results, increased integrity, transparency and accountability.”
- Global Professional Services Inc. / Partner / Senior Consultant (2001-2013)
- Luis Bernal Consulting / Senior Consultant and Evaluator (2013-present)
- Council of Hispanic Business Professionals / Founder and Director – This Collier County organization’s mission is “to promote Hispanic Business and Professionals and their ongoing efforts to building a prosperous community for everyone, by working in the areas of business, entrepreneurship, education and culture."
- American Evaluation Association, whose mission is “to improve evaluation practices and methods, increase evaluation use, promote evaluation as a profession, and support the contribution of evaluation to the generation of theory and knowledge about effective human action.”
- Project Management Institute, “the world's leading not-for-profit professional membership association for the project, program and portfolio management profession.”
- Veterans Memorial Elementary School’s School Advisory Committee (previously for five years; his 12-year-old son now attends a public Collier middle school)
Bernal raised $11,905 in monetary contributions and $750 in in-kind contributions, and spent $7,147 through July 4, 2014. His largest contributions to-date:
$1,000 - Russell A. Budd, Naples, on 7/1/14
$1,000 - Kelly Capolino, Naples, on 4/8/14
$1,000 - Media Vista SW Florida, LLC, on 5/24/14
$1,000 - Felix Lluberes, Naples, on 4/9/14
$1,000 - Marci B. Seamples, on 4/8/14
$1,000 - Cohen & Grigsby PAC, on 4/5/14
$600 - Deanna Sammons, on 4/10/14 (in kind: professional photography)
$500 - Dennis C. Brown, Naples, on 6/20/14
$500 - Lou Vlasho, Naples, on 7/3/14
$500 - Javier Pacheco, Bonita Springs, on 5/6/14
JB Holmes teaches Algebra and Geometry at Beacon High School (Alternative Education) on the Lorenzo Walker campus. His campaign slogan is “Education First! Students, Parents, Teachers.”
Holmes’ online presence includes Facebook (since November 2013), LinkedIn (500+ connections) and a website jbholmes-phdcom. He does not have a Twitter account.
Holmes and his wife live in Golden Gate with a varied assortment of animals.
- Florida Institute of Technology – MSSystems Management, Mathematics (1985)
- Nova Southeastern University – EdD / Organizational Leadership (2009)
- Michigan State University, Oakland – BS / Business Management
- Also Attended: Valencia College, University of Phoenix, Edison State College and
- Lake Superior State College
- Mathematics (grades 6 – 12)
- Social Studies (grades 6 – 12)
- Mathematics (grades 5 – 9)
- Science (grades 5 – 9)
- Middle Grades Integrated Curriculum (grades 5 – 9)
- Florida General Knowledge Certification
- US Air Force / Sergeant (1963-1969)
- IBM / Customer Support Engineer (1967-1973)
- Fujitsu / Customer Support Engineer (1973-1983)
- Kmart Corporation / Manager (1985-2004)
- Republican National Committee / ASL Interpreter (2012)
- Collier County Public Schools / Teacher (2004-present)
- Collier County Education Association / Executive Board – Secretary/Treasurer
- Collier County Republican Executive Committee / Precinct Committeeman
- Teachers in Government Education Reform (TIGER) / Executive Board
- Florida Education Association / Government Policies and Legislative Committee
Holmes raised $23,750 in monetary contributions and $483 in in-kind contributions, and spent $19,487, through July 4, 2014. His largest contributions to-date:
$18,125 – Personal contributions, various dates 3/30-13-7/15/14
$1,000 – Florida AFL-CIO COPE, Tallahassee, 5/28/14
$500 – Collier Professional Firefighters & Paramedics, 5/30/14
$500 – Florence N Holmes, 2/26/13
$500 - Island Coast Education, Ft. Myers – 6/10/14
$500 - Collier Tiger
$500 - Central Florida AFL-CIO, Orlando – 7/15/14
Other contributions of note: $100 - Friends of Byron Donalds Elec, on 5/1/13 (Donalds is married to Erika Donalds, candidate for the same District 3 seat); $100 – Jonathan Tuttle (Executive Director, Collier County Education Association CCEA) on 9/5/13; $100 – Lyle Farmar (Service Unit Director, CCEA) on 8/30/13; $100 - Lake County Education Assoc, Leesburg, FL, on 7/15/14.
If you notice any errors or significant omissions, please let me know.